Monday 23 July 2012

Too much thinking...

For the past two days I've been thinking of brushing my teeth before going to bed.But somehow I didn't do it.And I tend to postpone it for the next day.But today out of self-induced compulsion I did it!! :P .But that made me think a lot!!It first seemed like a "trivial" thing but on a little closer perusal it wasn't so.Brushing before going to bed was a habit.And I've never done that before in my life !!!(well how many people brush before going to bed??! when it's boring and annoying for some to brush even in morning!!) and that was the reason why I was postponing!!(Eureka!!)

 I searched Google on habits and Wikipedia describes habit as,
  • "routines of behavior that are repeated regularly and tend to occur subconsciously.Habitual behavior often goes unnoticed in persons exhibiting it, because a person does not need to engage in self-analysis when undertaking routine tasks..." 
And it also further elaborated on habits and I thought the following two points were relevant for my analysis,
  • "Old habits are hard to break and new habits are hard to form because the behavioral patterns we repeat are imprinted in our neural pathways." 
  •  "Habit formation is modelled as an increase in automaticity with number of repetitions up to an asymptote."
 So that sums it up.The reason why people do or don't do things is because of their habits.And these habits can be made by repeating a task for a finite number of times,attaching them to goals and constant monitoring.The same applies to breaking habits, except for the fact that it needs comparatively more of will-power!!(now i am not talking about addictions or OCD). So going to gym,reading books,brushing before going to bed,going to bed at proper time and many more good habits can be cultivated by doing them repetitively whether one likes it or not and constant monitoring of the tasks.And bad habits like nail-biting,eavesdropping,too much "facebooking,etc :p can be undone by applying the same afore-mentioned procedures.Nothing is Impossible though those things may apparently look impossible...


2 comments:

  1. i read somewhere that if you do something continuously somehow or the other, for 21 days, it will become a habit and you will start doing it automatically. wanna experiment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 've read that too...but haven't yet tested..ok I am ready now.. i am gonna start my experiment from today..!

    ReplyDelete