Sunday 1 July 2012

Right to Reason

                                As a kid I was told that someone up above was watching me every day and every night.And after my death I'll meet him and based on my good deeds(punniyam) and sins(paavam).He will decide whether I was a good person or bad and based on that I'll be sent to either,

1.Heaven,where I'll live(??)(after death I was supposed to live!!) with God or
2.Hell,where I'll be tortured for an eternity!!
I used to think can he always be watching me??wherever I go,will he follow me??what did this person look like??will he follow even if I hid under my bed??will he be able to see me if I sit in a room in night,without lights??Well,how else was a child supposed to react?!I imagined a lot on how this entity would appear, but to the contrary of my imaginations the photos and statues looked similar to human!They were all rich,wearing kilos of gold and diamond ornaments and they all had families.(I wonder what happened to their descendants..)And each god was in charge of a particular power!!(like we have super specialization in doctors)For example "Lord Bramma" was in charge of creation,"Lord Vishnu" was in charge of protecting and "Lord Siva" was in charge of destruction."Goddess Saraswati" was in charge of knowledge."Goddess Lakshmi" was in charge of wealth.(Division of labor has been in practice even then!!).I used to think so I was supposed to pray to these gods based on their specializations??!

What is "God"?
The oxford dictionary defines god as a "superhuman being worshipped as possessing power over nature,human fortunes,etc;creator and ruler of universe"

Okay so,God created the Universe.He controls nature,etc.Lets keep that aside for a moment.I come from Madurai.In my place every summer we have "chithirai thiruvizha".The idol of Kalazhagar is carried and brought to every nook and corner of Madurai.Let me narrate the events that took place this year the day the idol was brought into Madurai.
1.There was total power shutdown all day and all night
2. It started raining and the streets were muddy and puddled.
3.There was heavy traffic jam throughout Madurai(obviously!)
4.People had a hard time paying a visit to their "GOD" 

Let me quote the definition one more time,"superhuman being worshipped as possessing power over nature, human fortunes,etc;creator and ruler of universe"(!!!)

The population of human beings in the world is said to be 7 billion as of 2011.And the number of religions in practice today are 1.Hinduism 2.Christianity 3.Islam 4.Buddhism 5.Sikhism 6.Jainism 7.Gnosticism 8.Zoroastrianism..........With each religion having it's own "GOD"!!It's own practices,believes about earth life and death.If there are so many religions then did GOD create man?? or MAN CREATED "GOD"??

By now it would have become clear that I AM AN ATHEIST.Being an atheist doesn't mean I'm a non-believer!I do believe..!!I believe in science,I believe in the power of thoughts,I believe there is NO GOD,I believe we exist as a group affecting and influencing each other directly or indirectly by our actions and reactions...So coming back,I believe god didn't create us ( HOMO SAPIENS= Human Beings).So where did we come from??

Chimp :I shouldn't have evolved
 According to Wikipedia,Humans are originated from Africa 2,00,000 years.The human beings diverged from its last ancestors Chimpanzee approximately 5 million years ago in Africa  evolving into the "Australopithecines" and eventually the genus Homo.Homo Erectus and Homo heidelbergensis  is considered to be the immediate ancestor of modern humans.Studies Have shown that Humans and Chimpanzees are 96% same.I don't deny that they are not a 100% match,and the 4% may contribute for a million differences but still aren't these facts totally contrary to the popular believes among theists,That god created human beings??This might even sound funny or offending to some people.But at least there is a proof for my argument..Are there any proofs for the  arguments that god created the universe and human beings?????

                    A popular legend among Christians is God created Adam and Eve and there was no night(if there was no night,then does that mean that the earth didn't revolve at all and was facing the sun 24 hours a day??but even then the other part of the earth must be night all through the 24 hours!!!)and Eden was the place where they lived before God banished them away from that place for disobeying his words and eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge.Can someone spot Eden on the world map??A belief among Hindus is Raama was born in Ayodhya.Any proofs???According to Muslims, Angels' duties include communicating revelations from God, glorifying God, recording every person's actions, and taking a person's soul at the time of death. They are also thought to intercede on man's behalf. The Qur'an describes angels as "messengers with wings".."One question,have you got any evidences confirming your believes???

                       Man has always had a fear for the unknown.That fear must have made him search for a shelter.And that must have made him or I should say "forced" him to believe in an entity superior to himself! In the early ages man feared nature.He started worshipping nature.Let me cite another more agreeable example.Have you not come across at least one guy who becomes so religious and believing in God during exam time but for the rest of the year he wouldn't have had a streak of "vibuthi"(holy ash) on his forehead!!
Now,I've heard people saying"I have prayed to god and my god has given me this and that...!!" I can explain that,but before that one question keeps bugging me..say for instance India and Australia are playing in the world cup final match.Now an Indian will pray to god that India must win the match.But an Australian will pray that Australia must win the Cup.Now what will the "GOD" do??!!!Whose prayer will he answer??? I read a book of  Dr.M.S.Udayamurthy in which he throws light on how prayers work,A thought which is being repeated every time gets into our sub conscious and it becomes a belief!And a strong belief can make thinks fall in place,directs our whole system towards it and achieve it.He tells prayers are a form of self hypnosis.


"Mind is the Master power that moulds and makes,
And Man is Mind, and evermore he takes
The tool of Thought, and, shaping what he wills,
Brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills:
He thinks in secret, and it comes to pass:
Environment is but his looking-glass."
                                                    
                                                           -  James Allen
   
( to be continued)       


(Contents of the next part - History of popular beliefs of the olden days,History of Giordano Bruno-"martyr for free thought and modern scientific ideas",superstitions that the world encountered.The formations of cults,"the brain- washing" into religion and cults and much more....)
                                                                                                           

10 comments:

  1. WOW! Quite a thesis!!!! Inspired.... thoughts and ideas you have written about are also inspiring...accept my applause

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you,thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the answers to hopefully all ur questions are in this article,anything else GOD Himself will answer if only you'll ask Him ....
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/why-does-creation-include-suffering
    Oh! And I hope you have time to read this article it's pretty long :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my questions??!!!I've only recorded the doubts i had as a kid.As an adult I have no doubts...and all other questions are satires..you have answers even for them??surprising!!and you want me to ask "him" .okay does he speak English??Where do I find "him"??..btw thanx for reading my post and commenting,wait for the second part "hopefully all ur" superstitions may find a way out of ur system..

      Delete
  4. Actually He speaks pretty much any language u speak, and He can even understand u when there are no words to express what's on the inside of u ... So give it a try .... Humor a 'superstitious' person ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh..okay fine but you haven't answered my other question.."Where do I find "him"??" :D ..You've been before the computer till 1 pm even though u have costing class today??

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is omnipresent ..... And about the second part ... well Hakuna Matata :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hhmmm "omnipresent??" then why didn't he come to India??? :P well,I am really sorry for "the blind man"...

      Delete
  7. Like I said God is omnipresent .... He is in India rite now as well as in some other part of the world .... Its just like the air .... V dont ask it where it s ... we just know that it is there everywhere ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if ur god can be compared to air!!well have you ever heard of the term vacuum??!and how can one person be present everywhere??! :P

      Delete